4.05.2010

Fairest

post signature

Fairest is no Ella Enchanted. Whichever critic on the back cover who claims such must have suffered a mental ailment when making the statement. Recommended by countless 7th grade girls, I had been looking forward to Fairest for quite some time. Yes it is cute and whimsical, a good play on fairy tale classic components, but it's not as cleverly plotted as I would have hopped. I would argue that it was even repetitive in relationship to some of its competition (especially after having just read Book of a Thousand Days). Fairest is about a common ugly girl with a beautiful voice who finds herself in the middle of royal scandal. Predictable for certain, I found the ending a bit disappointed, especially when the issue of heritage was never resolved but merely dismissed in a sentence or two. The cynic in me may also be getting in the way of a good review. The all-too-happy ending is more than enough cheese for me. Must everything end perfectly? It had such promise. Your 5th-7th grade girl will go gaga over it but you'll wish for more depth.

post signature

1 comment:

Gail said...

I just have to agree with your assessment of Fairest. I paid full hardcover price in serious anticipation. I'm afraid Levine may be a One-hit wonder. I really didn't like "Ever" either. While I consider Ella Enchanted a masterpiece, I haven't like anything else of hers. Dangit.