3.01.2010

Uncle Tom's Cabin

post signature


Every American should be required to read this book before they are allowed to graduate.... actually, they should read it before they are allowed to breathe!!!

I would argue that this book, above any other book save the bible, changed the face of America-and in turn the world-for good, forever. It is that powerful.

As I turned the page I could literally feel the gavel coming down on slavery.
I could taste the bile choking the throats of slave proponents the world wide.
I could hear the whole of America audibly and viciously gasp as each heart-retching gory detail leaked its truth into every painful chapter.

If you haven't read this book yet, go get it right now- BUY IT don't borrow it, every American home should own its own copy- and then neglect everything in your life until you cough it down.

Be prepared: Harriet Beecher Stowe will not cause tears, she will use real slavery accounts to force absolute heaping guttural sobs from deep within your soul. One box of tissues won't suffice. You will need that in addition to several rolls of Charmin and a bottle of Vaseline to sooth your raw snot-stained skin when you are done. The truth is, I have never cried harder in my life.

When Abraham Lincoln met Miss Stowe after her book wedged a sharp knife in the hearts of Americans the nation over, he actually shook her hand and said,

"So this is the little lady who started this big war."


...And, like she has for generations, she will start a war inside your heart, your soul, your existence. You will shout to your ceiling: WHAT THE $%&@%$%&(!!! WE DID WHAT? WE LET WHAT HAPPEN? THIS IS REAL?

And then your body will ache for weeks... as it should.

Scenes from Uncle Tom's Cabin (based on real accounts of slavery before the Civil War):


Harriet Beech Stowe:

post signature

No comments: