
THE HUNGER GAMESSUMMARY: The Hunger Games takes place in an unidentified future time period after the destruction of North America, in a nation known as Panem. Panem consists of a rich Capitol and twelve surrounding, poorer districts. As punishment for a previous rebellion against the Capitol, every year one boy and one girl from each district is forced to participate in “The Hunger Games”, a televised event whereby the participants, or “tributes”, must fight to the death in an outdoor arena until only one remains. The story follows 16-year-old Katniss Everdeen, a girl from District 12 who volunteers for the Games in place of her younger sister, Primrose. Also participating from District 12 is Peeta Mellark, a boy whom Katniss knows from school and who once gave Katniss bread when her family was starving.
MY TAKE: COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN! I even dreamt about Peeta and am scathingly jealous that I didn't write this book myself! I love the themes of desensitization, teen aversion to violence, loyalty, and totalitarianism. Katniss is a superstar and this isthe first book that finally got Edward out of head. Seriously, this series is a MUST READ. Beware though, you will be craving book 3 long before it is released. We still have 8 months! Ug.
CATCHING FIRE
SUMMARY: Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be enjoyingtheir freedom. After all, they won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty of food. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry, and they want revenge.
MY TAKE: If Stalin had the internet access to information that we do now, this would be Russia. George Orwell would love this book... and so did I! It wasn't as good as the first book, but it didn't disappoint. Still a page turner. I was big into the love story with this one. I'm telling you, this series has it all: Blood and guts, adventure, love, string motifs, and suspense. If you haven't read it, you are crazy.
Painfully, the last book in the series doesn't hit shelves until August. Drat. Until then, console yourself with these cool websites:
http://www.scholastic.com/thehungergames/
You can play an online hunger games (I lost and was shot through the heart with an arrow) or participate in some fun chat rooms. You can even watch interviews with Suzanne Collins.






1 comment:
I am obsessed with The Hunger Games and am just waiting for Catching Fire to be available for me at the Library! I like your book blog!
Post a Comment